Saturday, March 30, 2013

The International Banana Museum

It was all you might imagine it would be...and more.

Heading up the east side of the Salton Sea, I was looking for the town of Mecca, for the home of the International Banana Museum.  Even though I was looking for it, I managed to go right by it, but realized my mistake within 12 miles or so.  I had to turn back... 
And am I glad I did!  Admission was only $2.00, or free if you bought a banana milkshake.  I, of course, opted for the drink. Fred, the curator, was terrific.  He posed for pictures, then gave me his special jacket to put on for my photo op. He told me the background of his collection as he walked me around, showing me special pieces. He was a fun host, and seemed to enjoy it as much as I did!










Fred, the Curator...he makes an awesome banana milkshake!


7 comments:

  1. You look like a happy banana yourself I just love the navigAtion challenges too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that there's a museum dedicated to this not-so-favorite fruit of mine...someday...when I make this trip...I want to find the International Rasberry Museum. Looks like it was a cool homage to the banana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin loves mangos. She also wants to say thank you Christie for sharing this trip because it most likely was more fun and brought more joy to Peter than any experience you had on your trip. Do they make mango shakes and malts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! You are my own Huell Howser this week! I LOVE bananas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To all: Strictly bananas. No mangos, no raspberries. It would detract from the sanctity of the banana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now offer a banana mango shake along with banana strawberry, banana fosters, banana chocolate and banana nut bread shakes too.

      Delete
  6. Love the necklace - hope you bought it!!! Ta, Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete