Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Reflections on Day 4

Winding roads under canopies of trees
Dismantling stereotypes
Heath bar ice cream in a waffle cone

Today I realized that with regard to this trip, there is nothing that I must do. While I have a plan, I have not chiseled it in stone.  This freedom has allowed me to reach out to others. The lack of a schedule has allowed me to enjoy being lost. I have stepped out of my comfort zone again and again.  And each time, it gets easier and feels more natural.
I used to plan my spontaneity. I would have been hesitant to start a discussion with someone who appeared different than I. I could dwell on what a loss that has been, but truth is, I'd rather look forward to the opportunities that still await me.
Tomorrow I leave Santa Cruz. I have enjoyed my time here and I will miss it.  However, I am looking forward to whatever is around the next corner, characteristically passing it, and making a u-turn.
I will let you know what that is.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could give up my planned spontaneity. Not without a lot of pre-planning, that's for sure. Good for you Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting lost in your travels. Don't know if you're coming or going. Where's my damn map anyway?
    Oh, by the way, next time you do this sort of thing, I may be a stow away in your car.

    ReplyDelete