Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Reflections on Day 3

Unknown Number of Miles
Beauty That Inspires Tears
Random Acts of Kindness

Day 3 was a mixed bag, and that kind of caught me off guard. After a wonderful chat with Philis, the clerk at the hotel, I headed out. Breakfast downtown had me sitting next to a young couple who improved on my directions to the Meditation Center. In spite of them, I managed to get lost. The UPS driver was helpful, getting out of the truck so he could gesture better. A slight detour to a Safeway Starbucks and I realized my sandals were caked in mud from the photo shoot at my new home. As I was cleaning out the restroom sink after washing them off, a woman stepped up to the sink next to me.  I was sure she was secretly judging me, but I greeted her pleasantly. She responded in kind, then tore off a long section of paper towels to help me. What a simple yet powerful reminder to not create the thoughts in other people's minds, and to allow their goodness to show itself.
The drive to the Buddhist retreat was beautiful. By the time I got there and walked the grounds, I was overcome with emotion.  I won't say it was sadness...It was the depth of feeling that comes from the intensity of a song (for me, "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan) coupled with the beauty of nature. It is not something I experience in my day-to-day life.  Which leads me to question, "Is it Santa Cruz and its people and nature, or is it something in me that can be tapped into anywhere, as long as I allow it?" And will I remember that once I get home and back into my routines?
Of course I had to balance out this heady experience with silliness.  What started out to be a simple photo op at the school district office led to a long conversation with Geri, a secretary at Human Resources and her giving me Desiree's card for future contact.  Hmmmn.

Downtown at night, and even though it was a Monday, it was still quite busy. No street dancing but I am staying another night, so will tap my way down there tomorrow.

Simple experiences in life can be intoxicating. I am so thankful that I am able to discover that.

With love,

3 comments:

  1. Love your photography and insights...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all! You look great, and I'm so looking forward to hearing about it all when you get back. Love the experiences you've shared about.

    Looking forward to next stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok you must have a back to reality party soon. Karin and I are of invited. :)

    ReplyDelete